Thursday, August 16, 2007

TERREMOTO!!!

That´s right people we survived an earthquake. Coming from Chicago I´ve never experienced such a shock in my life. Liz and I were at the bus station buying our tickets to Ariquipa when the whole place started to shake. It felt like I was riding a moving bus. Everyone started screaming and running. We just looked at each other and decided we better run out of there as fast as we could. The buildings, windows, and bilboards were shaking. It was such a long tremour, probably 2 minutes long. Which seems like a long time. We have to catch a bus in a few hours so I don´t have much time to write, but I wanted you all to know that we are fine. The places hit harder are in the south, Ica and Pisco. When we arrive in Arequipa I will continue our Lima story. Since the big shake we have felt two more mini-quakes (they may be after shocks). It´s truly a unique experience!

Just know that we are safe. And we are very happy. Everyone here is so nice! Beyond belief. We are loving it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin you about killed mom. And ryan was so upset she wanted to leave ireland. This is a great lesson in why americans need to learn spanish. Because you if you don't it is nearly impossible to find out anything on an american

Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy to wake up to this news! I was in tears yesterday (jet lag didn't help) the front desk even let me make a free call to the USA! I been using this castle computer more than anyone else here now i can relax! I'm just so glad that you are Liz are ok. Keith and I are off to hike a mountain near Cong, Ireland, where the Quiet Man was filmed! You two be careful and buy a cell phone!

Unknown said...

E, So glad to hear you're fine. I was so worried that I sent Ryan an email...little did I know she was globetrekking too! Will pass on the good news to your K-Wood Clan. Whirled Peas!

Anonymous said...

Erin! I am so happy to hear that you are okay, caitlin just told me the scare.. I LOVE YOU and hope you are having the time of your life... be careful!!!!

Anonymous said...

yowza, good to hear you're doing okay, you'll have to come to LA for our next "big" one now that your an experienced earthquake girl. as for me, I'll be working in a hospital in chiapas for the next 2 weeks barring no terrible destruction from the hurricane. peace be with you

Molly said...

Lordy lordy...thank the heavens you two are safe and sound! Thanks for the update and I'll be checking often to hear all about your travels. We miss you back here, but so glad you're having a great time! Hugs from all the girls. ;-)