Friday, August 17, 2007

Arequipa

Ok, so Liz and I are safe in Arequipa. We were supposed to board the bus at 6pm last night. We didn´t get on until 7:30 - nothing I´ve been told is ever on time. We are learning this quickly. Liz and I (for an unknown reason) got bumped up to first class! Our fellow American traveler friend, Jeremy, was waiting for us on the lower level. We were in a nice private room with two other passengers. Comfy seats that recline all the way. We were supposed to arrive in Arequipa at 8 am, but did not arrive until noon. Several times in the night the bus would pull over to the side of the road so that oncoming traffic could pass. We all had to wait our turn. The roads were full of debris from falling rocks and the in some parts the road had foot wide cracks from the quake. We drove through Pisco and Ica. Those were the towns most devistated by the earthquake. Peoples homes were crumbled to the ground. They had pulled matresses and refridgerators out side and were sitting by fires. It is very cold at night. But for the most part our journey was good. We watched a couple of movies, I took some dramamine and was out for the night.
The woman who ran our hostal in Lima said her brother would be waiting for us at the station. I hoped he wouldn´t be there since we were four hours late. But we were greeted by a sign for Elizabeth and Brin Tyrrell (so far no one can ´get´my name). I´m not sure why he even met us there, he didn´t have a car and just took a taxi with us. I am having a hard time understanding his spanish too, so it makes it hard to communicate. And poor Liz never has any idea what were saying until I remember to translate. Sometimes I make things up so that he thinks I understood hom, but I´ll tell Liz Í really have no idea what he´s saying... something about war´ for example. He helped us find our hostal and then took us on a little tour to some Portals at the edge of hte city. Very beautiful. We also had a great vantage point for the Misti Volcano. Don´t worry, it´s not active.
Arequipa is beauiful and the weather is awesome. We are heading out tomorrow though. Our next plan is to head up to go hiking in some canyons and swim in hot springs. But we will return to Arequipa for a few days before heading to Cusco.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Hope the rest of your great excursion is alot less stressing than your first couple of days...Be safe and have fun...Tell Liz the CUBS are in first place in their division....Steve

Anonymous said...

Erin we are following you daily. So relieved you girls are safe and sounds like you are having a wonderful time. All is well here. We love your stories.Keep them coming. LOve you--Aunt Roseanne& Uncle Kelly, Sean

Alicia said...

Lizzie! I was so glad to hear that you were both okay and having a great time! I miss you tons and I am so jealous-can't wait for pics! You are in my thoughts daily. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Erin i got in a hit and run accident near Maine South and im just having a shitty day and wish u were hesr b/c u always make me feel better when i feel like shit. And are westher is crazy rain. It wont stop raining for like four days.

Anonymous said...

Donde esta la version en español para los peruano AH????????
Cesar