Monday, July 2, 2007

Just getting started


Liz and I have a lot of talking and planning to do. We are just six weeks away from setting off for an amazing journey through South America. On our drive to Iowa we made a list of everything we could think of that we would need to pack. We are bringing very limited stuff. Not too much because of course we have to carry it on our backs.
We fly into Lima, Peru on August 14th. Aside from that and our flight home we have no real plans. We hope to let the wind take us where it will. We will be flying home from Rio de Janiero, Brazil on December 20nd. We plan to see Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil. A few people have asked if we are missing Ecuador - so we might have to stop in there as well. We are open and willing to go and do whatever.
We are both so excited and can't wait to leave. Liz and I have plans for Friday to go over our travel binder, travel guide books, and watch Motorcycle Diaries. Maybe we'll drink some Pisco Sours too...
I wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that we welcome visitors. Everyone is invited to come meet up with us anywhere down there. So if I didn't invite you personally - this is your invitation. I realize with the long and expensive flight (and all the vaccines needed) it might not be feasible for most, but you are welcome.
We are going to miss our families and friends while away but we have much to look forward to.
We are both hoping to grow and change with our experience abroad. Personally, I hope to gain patience as I tend to be a hurried person. And I've heard you need a lot of patience down there! I hope my Spanish improves (I know it will). And to gain a new outlook... get perspective on shit!
Can't wait and stayed tuned...
We'll be in touch when we land

5 comments:

Ryan Tyrrell Lipinski said...

Yeah for Erin and Liz! We're all so proud of you for taking this journey and going for it! I hope you keep this blog updated through out your trip so we can live vicariously through, and keep track of you! Let me know if I can help out with anything with your preparation or while you're gone. And, don't worry, I'll take Birdie on a beach trip or two while you're gone!. Love you,
Ryan

El Peluquero de Sansón said...

Hello world!
So, how many of you have lived through an 8.0 in the Richter scale earthquake while traveling??
I know 2 girls that have...
For the record, it was very nice sharing the after-quake!
I hope you don't have to face any more natural disasters on your journey! Other than that, enjoy Peru... it rocks! (and sometimes it shakes a little bit)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lizzie,
So very glad that you are safe and sound.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Hi girls!
Visions of Dame Emily Pollifax!
What an exciting trip. And it is only one week old.
Who is Jeremy?
Ground charcoal may be good for stomach parasites. Ask the locals what they take.
Liz, that's a lovely purse you are showing off!
Watch out for altitude sickness . Ily Pop Pop
PS Ribs are healing slowly.

James Mitchell said...

Hi girls,
I am now a blogger!
Thanks.
Pop Pop